Vector Control and Dynamics of AC Drives VSD for Extrusion Machines
Extrusion machines are used to create product by forcing raw
material, such as plastic, through a die. Extruders are used to
create a wide range of products such as tubing, sheet goods, and
insulation. Food processing is a popular application for extruders.
Extruders employ a main drive motor to supply power to a screw,
which provides the force necessary to push the raw material through
· Replace hydraulically operated or DC powered drives
· Precise speed control while material is being extruded
· Develop high torque at very low speeds
Features of V5 series matching lift control application
Excellent Control Performance under Speed Sensorless Vector Control
- Realizing AC motor decoupling, enabling the DC motorization of
- Fig. 1 indicates the four-quadrant operation of the motor under
speed sensorless vector control. The torque, current, speed and DC
bus voltage have quick response, and the motor has stable
- Realizing 0.1s acceleration/deceleration with rated motor load.
- Upon the zero-crossing switching of the motor (forward/reverse
switching), the current has no phase mutation or oscillation, and
the rotating speed has no pulsation.
The bus voltage is under stable control. Quick and reliable braking
can be realized when decelerating under the condition of braking
without power consumption.
Realizing Real Tripless Operation
- With excellent current and voltage control technology, 0.1s
repetitive and alternate acceleration and deceleration is
performed, and the inverter realizes stable and tripless operation.
- With extremely powerful loading capacity, the inverter can realize
stable tripless operation in any acceleration/deceleration time and
under any impact load condition.
- With strong short-time overload capacity, the inverter can operate
continuously for 0.5s under 200% rated load, and 1 minute under
150% rated load.
- The intelligent module temperature control maximizes the loading
capacity of the inverter.
Unique Instantaneous Mains Failure Reaction
- Upon the instantaneous mains failure, the energy of the motor
feedback bus will keep the inverter running till the mains resumes
- When shutdown is caused by long-term power-failure during the
operation of the inverter, the inverter will provide alarm message
after power resumes normal.
- It supports the automatic operation after power-up.
- The deceleration time during the power failure and the acceleration
time after the power recovery can be set independently.
Unique Speed Tracing Function
- It doesn’t need special hardware detection circuit and no special
function code to be set. Within the range of 0 to 60Hz, the
inverter can complete identification the motor rotating speed,
rotating direction and phase angle within 0.2s, and start smooth
tracing on the freely rotating motor.
- Tracing mode 1: Quick and smooth tracing on the free speed motor
without any impact.
- Tracing mode 2: Impactlessly pull down the motor from high-speed to
low speed and then accelerate to normal speed.
Unique Quick DC Braking
- Within the range of 0 to 300Hz, the inverter can realize back
electromotive force elimination and quick DC braking within 0.3s.
- DC current input in the most efficient way to improve the braking
- There is no initial waiting time for the DC braking.
- Special function code of the initial waiting time for DC braking
setting is cancelled.
Power range of V5 VFD
Voltage: 3 phase 380VAC (323VAC – 528VAC)
Power: 1.5kw/2HP – 400kw/535HP
Specification of V5 VFD
150% rated current 1min., 180% 10 sec., 200% 0.5 sec.
sensor-less vector control, V/F control
180% 0.5Hz (180% 0.25Hz)
±0.05% ( ±0.02%)
Frequency setting mode
Operation panel setting, terminal UP/DN setting, host computer
communication setting, analog setting AI1/AI2/AI3, terminal pulse
At rated power, 7.5kW and below power class ≥93%, 45kW and below
power class ≥95%, 55kW and above power class ≥98%
Frequency setting signal
-10V~+10V; 0~+10V; 0~20mA; 0.2Hz~50kHz
Power supply undervoltage, overcurrent protection, overvoltage
protection, interference protection, abnormal comparison reference
input, auto-tuning failure, module protection, heatsink
overtemperature protection, inverter overload protection, motor
overload protection, peripheral protection, abnormal current
detection, output to ground short circuit, abnormal power failure
during operation, abnormal input power, output phase failure,
abnormal EEPROM, abnormal relay contact, temperature sampling
disconnection, encoder disconnection, abnormal +10V power supply
output, abnormal analog input, motor overtemperature (PTC),
abnormal communication, abnormal version compatibility, abnormal
copying, abnormal expansion card connection, terminal mutual
exclusion detection failure, hardware overload protection
forced air cooling
3.5mm, 2~9Hz; 10 m/s2, 9~200Hz
Ambient temperature / Humidity
-40 Degrees~+70 Degrees / 5~95%Rh (no condensation)
A variable-frequency drive (VFD) is a system for controlling the
rotational speed of an alternating current (AC) electric motor by
controlling the frequency of the electrical power supplied to the
motor. A variable frequency drive is a specific type of
adjustable-speed drive. Variable-frequency drives are also known as
adjustable-frequency drives (AFD), variable-speed drives (VSD), AC
drives, microdrives or inverter drives. Since the voltage is varied
along with frequency, these are sometimes also called VVVF
(variable voltage variable frequency) drives.